If you’re looking for the perfect Christmas morning breakfast or just generally fancy whipping up something a little bit more fancy and festive this weekend, then look no further! These delicious chocolate protein pancakes with a spiced gingerbread syrup are an incredibly indulgent way to start your morning, as well as being packed with amazing natural ingredients and tons of plant based protein!
These pancakes are also completely vegan, as I’ve used a mashed banana in place of eggs to help bind all of the ingredients together and add some delicious natural sweetness too. The PERFORM vanilla protein makes these a protein packed breakfast option, so they're ideal if you’ve just had an early morning workout and fancy a little post-training treat!
It also means that you won’t need to add any additional sweeteners to the pancakes themselves, as the protein and banana provide a lovely sweet flavour that really compliments the richness of the cacao. I love to serve these drizzled in the gingerbread sauce, with lots of fresh fruit and some coconut flakes for a nice bit of added crunch!
Here's how to make them for yourself!
Christmas Chocolate Protein Pancakes With Spiced Gingerbread Syrup
- 1 banana
- 1 scoop PERFORM protein powder
- 2 tbsp oats
- 1 tsp cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- Pinch of organic cinnamon powder
- Almond milk
- Coconut oil (for cooking)
For the spiced gingerbread syrup:
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp peanut / almond butter
- Mixed spice
- 1 tsp grated root ginger (optional)
- Almond milk
1) Mash the banana with a fork until smooth. Add in the protein powder, oats, cacao, baking powder and cinnamon and carefully fold everything together. Now slowly add your almond milk, mixing continuously until you reach your desired consistency. You want quite a thick batter but still spreadable enough to form into pancakes!
2) Set aside your pancake mix - it's now time to make your gingerbread syrup! In a saucepan, slowly melt down your nut butter and maple syrup, stirring until they are warmed and well combined. Now add your mixed spice, and a little grated root ginger if you want it a little more fiery. Finally, add a splash of almond milk until the consistency is pourable but still thick. Keep on the hob on the lowest heat setting to keep it warm whilst you make your pancakes, stirring regularly so it doesn't stick.
3) Heat a little coconut oil in a pan and add a spoonful of your pancake mixture. Repeat this for as many pancakes as you can fit into your pan at one time. Once the pancakes have started to bubble on top and are cooked on one side, carefully flip them over and cook on the other side until lightly browned.
4) Serve the pancakes with some fresh fruit and your choice of toppings, drizzle with the gingerbread syrup and enjoy!
Want another high protein breakfast recipe that is as delicious as this one? Check out this salted caramel protein crepes recipe for another vegan treat!
Recipe by Ari Yahalom