Your favourite christmas dessert just got upgraded!
We've taken a plant based pastry, deep filled it with spiced fruit and topped it with lashings of creamy cashew custard to create a cruelty free treat that tastes even better than the 'real' thing!
We've also added a generous serving of our organic gelatinised maca, which adds a glorious caramel flavour to the pastry.
Here's how you make it...
VEGAN MACA MINCE PIES
For the filling:
- 2 large apples
- 1 cup sultanas
- 1/3 cup dried unsulphured apricots
- 1/3 cup cranberries
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
For the pastry:
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 2 tbsp gelatinised maca powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup medjool dates
- Pinch of salt
For the maca custard:
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp gelatinised maca powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 175C and line a circular tray with baking paper.
2. Prepare your pastry by combining buckwheat flour, ground almonds, gelatinised maca, coconut oil and dates in a food processor. Blend until well combined.
3. Add a splash of water then blend again until the ingredients form a dough. Take around 2/3rds of this mixture and press into the base and around the sides of your circular tin. Cover with more baking parchment and baking beans, and transfer to the oven for 12 minutes.
4. Remove the paper and baking beans, then return to the oven for a further 7 - 8 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown. Set aside.
5. Prepare your pie filling by dicing the apples into small chunks. Combine in a saucepan with the cranberries, sultanas and apricots, and add a splash of water. Add the orange zest and spices, and heat gently until really soft and caramelised. Pour the contents of the pan into the pastry.
6. Dust a large chopping board with a little extra buckwheat flour and roll out your remaining pastry. Cut out some festive shapes (here I used snowflakes!) and lay them on top of the filling. Transfer the pie back to the oven for a final 10 - 12 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, prepare your custard by blending the cashews with half of the coconut milk, maple syrup, maca and vanilla. Once smooth, gradually add the remaining coconut milk and continue to blend until it reaches your desired consistency. Gently heat this mixture on the hob before serving.
8. Remove the pie from the oven and serve topped with the custard!