As the temperature on the thermometer drops, what better way to welcome in the new season than with a bowl of piping hot crumble?
This healthier take on a classic winter recipe is the perfect way to treat your tastebuds and nourish your body. It's got all the flavour of a traditional crumble recipe, but without all the junk that comes with it!
The recipe serves 6 generous portions, so no one will have to miss out! Serve on it's own or with a dollop of coconut yoghurt or dairy free ice cream for next level indulgence.
Oh, and in case you were wondering. Crumble for breakfast is perfectly acceptable.
Spiced Apple & Blackberry Crumble
For the crumble:
- 120g ground almonds
- 100g oats (sprouted is best)
- 2 tbsp flaxseed
- 4 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
For the fruit layer:
- 200g frozen blackberries
- 2 large cooking apples
- 1 heaped tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
1) Preheat your oven to 150C. Core the apples and cut into small cubes.
2) Place the chopped apple into a saucepan with the blackberries, cinnamon, coconut sugar and a splash of water (just enough to cover the bottom of the pan). Place the pan over a low heat, and cook for around 10 minutes, stirring frequently!
3) While the fruit is cooking add all the crumble ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix well.
4) Once the fruit is softened, add to a baking dish then top with the crumble layer. Place into the oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.
5) Leave to cool for 10 minutes, serve and enjoy!
Want more from where that came from? Check out this delicious high protein Fruity Protein Smoothie Bowl recipe!
Recipe by Ari Yahalom.