Need some high-protein dinner ideas?
This classic Spanish dish is the perfect filling dinner recipe. Our unflavoured vegan protein help create the “eggs” for this classic Spanish dish. Serve warm or cold with a fresh salad or take it with you for a healthy lunch on-the-go.
800g potatoes - preferably a waxy potato like maris peer or new potatoes
2 white onions sit cut into 1/2 cm slices
1 red pepper cut into 1/2 cm slices
Big handful of spinach
150g frozen peas
140g tofu broken into pieces
350 ml pant based milk
1 1/2 baking powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
Pinch of black pepper
Tsp garlic powder
Tsp onion powder
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp kala namak (optional - gives an eggy taste)
- Preheat an oven to 200ºc. Slice the potatoes so they are around 1cm thick, or slightly less. Just keep them all roughly the same size. * Get a medium to large oven proof frying pan (this is what you will finish cooking the tortilla in) and make sure all the potatoes fit. It is fine if they are near the top.
- Add the sliced potatoes to a baking tray and coat them with a little olive oil and a big pinch of salt. Place in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, when the potatoes should have just started to go golden.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat up a little olive oil over a medium heat in the frying pan you will use for the tortilla. Add the sliced onion and cook for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes add the sliced red peppers. Cook until the onion is soft and starting to brown. Once the onions are soft add the spinach and stir well. Finally add the frozen peas and couple of big pinches of salt, stir, take the pan off the heat, transfer the ingredients to a large bowl and set aside.
- Add the cooked potatoes to the bowl with the onions.
- Combine the tofu, milk, protein and all the remaining ingredients in a blender with a big pinch of salt. Blend until smooth. This is your “egg” mixture.
- Heat up your frying pan over a medium/high heat and put your oven to 200ºc. Add a little olive oil to the pan and once the pan is hot add about 1/3rd of the “egg” mixture. It should sizzle and start setting straight away. Add about half of the potato mixture, layering it as flat as possible. Add another third of the “egg” mixture and repeat with another layer of the potato mixture until it is all used. Add the last of the egg mixture and gently press so that it is at the same level, or above, of the potatoes. Cook on the hob for about 5 minutes then transfer the pan to the oven. Cook until the centre of the tortilla has just set (about 25-30 minutes).
- Once cooked, set aside and allow it to set for at least 30 minutes before serving. This can be served warm or cold and goes really well with an avocado salad.
Thanks to @beatonjamie for the recipe!