Banana muffins are definitely my favourite muffins in all of muffin land! And when one cannot decide whether to make a chocolate chip or salted caramel variety, the obvious decision is to go for both, right?!
As a result these light, moist, flavourful, fluffy, decadent and oh-so-sweet salted caramel chocolate chip banana muffins were born. And the best part? They are even healthy enough to have for breakfast.
If you're not familiar with maca, its natural toffee/butterscotch taste makes it ideal to recreate a caramel flavour while also adding nutritional benefit.
Maca is linked to improving mood and increase energy, stamina and concentration. This makes it the perfect superfood to start your day with too. (Yes, that was reason number two to have these for breakfast.)
Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
INGREDIENTS (for 10 muffins):
- 2 tbsp flaxseed
- 4 medium ripe bananas (the riper the better)
- 100g coconut sugar
- 50g coconut oil, melted
- 130g brown rice flour
- 80g ground almonds
- 1-2 tablespoons of Gelatinised Maca Powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 50g dates, chopped up into pieces
- 50g dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F.
2. In a small mixing bowl, prepare two 'flax eggs' by mixing 2 teaspoons of flaxseed with 6 teaspoons of water. Set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
3. Add the bananas and mash thoroughly into the flax eggs while still leaving some texture.
4. Add the coconut sugar, maca, salt and baking powder, and whisk for about one minute until all the ingredients are incorporated.
5. Add the ground almonds and rice flour, and fold in gently. Ensure not to overbeat the mixture here as it will prevent them from rising.
6. Finally, stir the chocolate chips and date chunks into the muffin batter.
7. Divide evenly among 10 muffin tips, filling them up about three quarters the way.
8. Bake for about 18-22 minutes, until light brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
9. Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy warm. Once completely cooled, store in an airtight container or freeze for longer term storage.
This delicious recipe was made by Firinna Beattie! If you want more delicious easy muffin recipes, check out our dedicated recipes section where we post high protein healthy recipes regularly!