As the mornings get colder this sweet, creamy porridge is like a hug in a bowl for breakfast!
Made with a generous spoonful of gelatinized maca powder, it has a delicious melted caramel flavor and provides a natural energy boost to power you through the morning.
For an extra indulgent treat, I've topped this recipe with caramelized bananas which provide an amazing contrast in texture and a natural sweetness. As well as for breakfast you could also enjoy this bowl post workout for the perfect balance of carbohydrates and plant based protein!
CREAMY MACA OATMEAL WITH CARAMELIZED BANANAS
- 1/2 cup regular or sprouted oats
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cashew milk
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1/2 scoop Salted Maca Caramel PERFORM (optional)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 large banana
1. Combine the oats with the water in a heavy based saucepan, and cook over a low to medium heat. Once the oats begin to thicken, pour in the cashew milk and stir continuously; this will help to make the oats really creamy.
2. Lower to a low heat and continue to cook. Whilst these are cooking, heat the coconut oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Slice your banana in half and then slice both of these pieces in half length ways. Place the banana pieces into the frying pan- you want to hear a nice sizzle at this point. Cook on both sides until golden and caramelised. You can also add a pinch of cinnamon if you like.
3. Stir the maca powder, protein powder (if using) and maple syrup into the porridge and add more water or milk if it’s too thick. Once your oats are cooked through and piping hot, serve into a bowl and top with the caramelized banana and other toppings of choice!
Want more from where that came from? Check out this delicious and vegan Coffee Cookie Dough Protein Bars recipe for an extra special easy dessert.
This recipe was made by the amazing Charlotte Roberts!!